- Browse All
Top 10 Reasons Why People Don't Help the Homeless
When we started helping the poor, we started getting a lot of "comments" from others - and not all of them were very nice! What amazed us was that a lot of these responses were from Christians. We decided to post some of these excuses and what Jesus has said in His word in response. If any of us think that this doesn't hit home, or that we can stand on judgment day and not have to face our "excuses," we need to think again! WWJD? And what Has He said? Take a look.
TOP 10 EXCUSES WHY PEOPLE DON'T HELP THE HOMELESS
1) It's not my responsibility. Luke 10:30-37 In answering a question about loving your neighbor, it was asked, 'Who is my neighbor?' Jesus gave the story about the Samaritan man helping a wounded man. Jesus said, "Go and do likewise".
2) I have problems of my own. Matt. 10:8 ; Luke 6:38 The Bible says "Freely you have received, freely give. & Give and it shall be given unto you."
3) We have programs for them.1 John 3:17 "This is how we know what love is…if anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"
4) They are lazy and deserve to be there. James 4:12 ; Matt. 9:12-13; Col. 3:12 There is only one lawgiver and judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. Who are you to judge your neighbor?
5) We have others in our church that do that for us. Prov. 3:28; 19:17; 21:13; 22:9 Do not say to your neighbor, "Go and come back, and tomorrow I will give it," when you have it with you." "He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord." "He will reward him for what he has done."
6) If you give to beggars, you will get more beggars. Matt. 4: 23-25; Acts 10:38 Jesus attracted crowds of poor, sick and desperate people, and He did not turn any away.
7) We are setting a bad example if we give in to their needs.John 13:15; 1 Peter 2:21 "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. " Jesus was our example in service, suffering and giving.
8) The Bible says "You don't work – you don't eat." Matt. 14:13-20 Jesus had compassion on the multitudes and multiplied fishes and loaves to feed them.
9) I didn't know there was a need. Acts 17:30 There was a time when God overlooked ignorance, but now God holds us accountable to what we know.
10) I don't know how to help. James 1:3; Luke 11:9 Ask for wisdom, ask for the Holy Spirit.