Hope for the Inner City
Hope for the Inner City is a Christian organization which partners with churches and other like-minded organizations to bring hope and community development to targeted communities through Christ-centered programs and services designed to meet the physical, spiritual and social development needs of individuals and families.
We have two foci:
1) Providing an urban immersion, mercy ministry experience for groups of Christians (including training and hands-on experience)
2) Ministering to the felt needs of the poor in our community--particularly around issues which create dependency. We seek to help the poor move from dependency to self-sufficiency.
Participants in foci one usually join us for a weekend or a full week and come from churches (jr & sr high youth, families, deacons), Christian schools, College & University Campus Ministries (RUF & Campus Crusade), and home school groups.
Participants in foci two usually present needs related to housing, jobs, and education. Therefore we offer:
Harambee Housing -- affordable home ownership options for the low-to-moderate income family,
Job Partnership -- training, mentoring & job placement for the unemployed and underemployed, and
Lifting Hands Education & Youth Development -- educational support, Summer Job Club - including internships, economic literacy, job training, GED preparation, and self-management skills training,
Organizational Statement of Faith
1. We believe in one God, existing in three persons: Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. We believe God has fully expressed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ, who is fully God and fully man. Christ, having accomplished a perfect, substitutional, sacrificial, and atoning work, now acts as intercessor and mediator before God on behalf of believers.
2. We believe the Bible is the authoritative, inspired and infallible Word of God. It is the only God-ordained standard of faith and life for all mankind, and is, in and of itself, the basis for teaching, reproof, correction and training in godly living.
3. We believe mankind is spiritually dead and in need of the saving grace of God in redemption and salvation through regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Man?s sinful nature has so separated him from God and has so distorted his being that it is only by and through the Lord Jesus Christ that reconciliation is accomplished.
4. We believe Christ has committed His power, which is wholly spiritual, to His Church. The Church is the agency ordained for the edification and government of His people, for the propagation of the faith, and for the evangelization of the world. The sole functions of the Church, as a kingdom and government, distinct from the civil government, are to proclaim, administer and enforce the law of Christ revealed in the scriptures. Scripture instructs the Church to do good works, among which are: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8); to share with others (Heb. 13:16); to seek food for others so that they may be saved (I Cor. 10:24, 33); to practice justice, mercy and faithfulness (Matt: 23:23); and to believe in Jesus, whom God has sent into the world (John 6:29).
Protestant, Christian Reformed Church (CRC), Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), Presbyterian Church, USA (PCUSA), Reformed Church in America (RCA), United Church of Christ, Presbyterian/Reformed, Evangelical, Non-denominational, Mainline Protestant
Do you Require Formal Orientation Training?
Campus Crusade for Christ, Christian Community Development Association (CCDA)